This policy describes what information is gathered when external users visit the Centre for Mathematical Sciences website, and how that information is used.
In common with most websites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made of it (see below for more details). This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept indefinitely.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in the University. Data may be passed to the administrators of other computer systems to enable investigation of problems accessing this site or of system misconfigurations.
Otherwise the logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but those that are do not include information from which individuals could be identified.
The following standard data is automatically logged for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request.
- The date and time of connection
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.)
- The number of data bytes sent in response
- The contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser - that is the URL you are selecting the link from
- The content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser - that is the webbrowser used
Access to personal data
All enquiries about personal data in respect of this site should be
addressed to the University Data Protection Officer (10 Peas Hill,
Cambridge CB2 3PN; tel. 01223 339888; fax 01223 331200; E-mail